The Diplomatic Charity Circle is a non-profit association that brings together the wives of the heads of Diplomatic Missions and Representatives of International Organizations accredited in Morocco.
Created about thirty years ago, it aims to support, without distinction of race or religion, the charities of NGOs and non-profit organizations recognized by the Moroccan authorities and working in the fields of training, health and development of the woman and child, as well as to facilitate intercultural exchange between the international and Moroccan community.
The Diplomatic Circle organizes multiple social and cultural events such as conferences, exhibitions, shows, site visits, social projects, the 10K Run for Peace and an annual international bazaar.
By this, the Circle aims to promote the discovery of Morocco and its culture and to strengthen the links between Moroccans and members of the diplomatic corps.
Its financial resources consist of the annual membership fee, funds raised through activities and one-off donations. For example, the book “Flavours of the World” published by the Circle won the Gourmand Wordbook Awards in China in May 2018 and sold over 1000 copies.
In 2018, the Circle supported 12 associations, including Ibtissam, the Social Center for the Reintegration of Adolescents in Essaouira, the Daughters of Charity, the Centre for Burned Children in Temara and the Centre for Hemodialysis in Chefchaouen.
The cumulative amount of subsidies amounts to around MAD 510,000.
The regional groups can also organise targeted actions, the most recent being the visit to the Children’s Cancer Hospital in Rabat.
The 2019 committee is thus constituted of the following members:
- Presidency: Mrs Danielle Ghorayeb Kebbon – Embassy of Sweden
- Vice-presidency: Mrs. Rachel Dagnon – Embassy of Benin
- General Secretariat: Mrs. Benedikta Harris – Embassy of Denmark
- Treasury: Mrs. Barakat Zeina – Embassy of Lebanon
- Social welfare: Colona Nzobakenga – Embassy of Burundi
- Welcome: Dowi Kim – South Korean Embassy
- Cultural Activities: Yolanda Jah – Foundation for Islamic Culture (FUNCI)
- Fundraising: Nawal Aljeri – Embassy of Kuwait
- Information: Giselle Chagas Poinsot – United Nations (UN)
- 10km for peace: Marie-Cécile Tardieu Girault – Embassy of France
- International Kids Circle: Heather McCrimmon – Embassy of Canada
- 6 regional coordinators (Africa, Asia, Arab Group, Americas, Europe and International Organizations)